Wednesday, 12 December 2007

Today's Pickings & Picklings (well.. a preserve anyway)


A friend of mine gave me a really good idea. She said to grate up the zucchinis and freeze in 2cup lots so they're easy to get out and make zucchini cake.
I think I have my work cut out for me, I've still got the two I picked the other day!





Returning from a quick trip to Tassie, my friend sent me home with a back pack full of her home grown red currants. There was just over 2kilos and so what else could I do but make red currant jelly :o)

There's a delusion with jam making that alot of people have. Pectin is very rarely if at all needed. This recipe for "Superlative Red Currant Jelly" is from Eliza Acton's Modern Cookery for Private Families (1840).


Just place the washed fruit – stalks and all – in a preserving pan, bring slowly to the boil and stir, pressing the redcurrants to break down the fruit and release the juice. As soon as the fruit is cooked (about 10 minutes), add the sugar, stir until absolutely dissolved, then bring the mixture up to a rapid boil, and boil for 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, place a large nylon sieve over a bowl and line it with a double layer of gauze. Then, when the 8 minutes are up, tip the whole lot into the sieve and let it drip through. If you don't mind not having a completely clear jelly, you can press to extract as much as possible. Then pour the jelly into the jars, which have been washed, dried and heated in a moderate oven for 5 minutes


It set beautifully and tastes sensational! Eliza got this one right, it is in fact superlative red currant jelly.






It made 1 kilo of jelly. Can't wait to blob it on the turkey on Christmas day! Then on the left overs.. and the left overs...