Monday, 9 April 2007

Recipe - Swelled Wheat

This is the basic method of cooking wheat that requires minimum effort (my favourite way!).


Here it is straight out of the flask with hot milk and sugar for my breakfast. Perfect in winter when I can't be bothered standing over the stove cooking oat porridge.




This is a one litre flask, I usually add about 1/2 a cup to this as it gives me 2 servings, or two bowls' worth of wheat for brekky. You can add more, though I added a cup full once and it all got stuck down the bottom - so if you do that, just give the flask a turn every now and then when the lid's on.





Next you add boiling hot water from the kettle, make sure you fill the water right up to the maximum water line.
Close and tighten the lid on the flask and leave overnight.

It doesn't matter if you leave it for 6 or 7 hours, or over two days the result will still be the same.




When you're ready to open the flask, drain the wheat out of the flask. You'll need to swish it with water a couple of times to get all the wheat out. Then it's ready to use. No further cooking required, but if you want to add to a dish at this stage you can. Cooking it again won't hurt at all.



Cracked wheat porridge - If you have a grinder, or store cracked wheat, then you can "swell" the wheat when it's cracked. Just follow the directions above, and when you drain the flask it will come out in a thicker and fluffier. Drain the water off in the same way, and add milk and sugar.
NOTE you may want to use boiling milk instead of water. I personally think this way is revolting, but each to their own ;o)


OTHER USES of swelled wheat - It can also me added to other dishes i.e. meatloaf, cookies, stews, tabouleh etc. Whatever you want really, just experiment. It adds a really nice malty chewiness to cookies when it's mushed up and as a breakfast/porridge it really keeps hunger at bay until lunch. I ate this almost everymorning when I was pregnant - YUM!